Thursday, 19th April 2018
Puzzles Solved Yesterday: 117
Home | Register | Login | Current Puzzle | Archives | Leaderboard | Forum | Tutorial | FAQ
Forum Index
 
All done!
Nis
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 1989
Best Total: 22m 1s
Posted - 2008.06.04 19:20:41
I finally finished the last two of the User Puzzles (168 and 83) - which means that I have  now completed all puzzles on the site, with the exception of the beasts (which are very cumbersome on my screen size).

I wonder how many people are in this club?

In relation to the above, I have two features on my wish list:

- Scalable graphics for the beasts - to put them all within one screen.
- An option to only show unsolved User Puzzles.

I don't know how hard these are - but if any of them can be easily implemented, they would improve the usability for me.

Oh, and

- Line breaks in puzzle descriptions on the user puzzle page.
xjames
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 1905
Best Total: 31m 41s
Posted - 2008.07.10 23:45:01
Hey! You know, I just finished all the archived puzzles, and was puzzling (heheh) with what to do now with no more puzzles to do...
I had never noticed the user puzzles till you pointed them out. Thanks...
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1720
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2008.07.11 13:40:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nis
- Scalable graphics for the beasts - to put them all within one screen.
This should work now... give it a go and see what you think. If it's a bit small for some people, I can add an option to turn scaling on/off...
MondSemmel
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3981
Best Total: 7m 47s
Posted - 2008.07.12 12:23:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman
This should work now... give it a go and see what you think. If it's a bit small for some people, I can add an option to turn scaling on/off...

It would be great if this would be an option I could turn off. In my case, the beasts were scaled down although I can solve them without scrolling (1680x1050 resolution).
prj
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 2356
Best Total: 18m 20s
Posted - 2008.07.14 01:57:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman
[Scaling] should work now

Nice!  In my case, the scaled puzzle just fits horizontally, with plenty of extra room vertically, and the buttons are pushed off to the right.  Can we have an option to put the buttons above the puzzle instead of to the right?
Naivoj
Kwon-Tom Addict
Puzzles: 314
Best Total: 33m 50s
Posted - 2008.07.16 13:28:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nis
I finally finished the last two of the User Puzzles (168 and 83) - which means that I have  now completed all puzzles on the site, with the exception of the beasts (which are very cumbersome on my screen size).
I wonder how many people are in this club?
Nis, Are you still a member of the "All Done" club?
Excluding beasts: you would have to be one of the 6 that completed the "Highlander Patterns Are Gone!" #339 & #340?
Including beasts: you must have at least completed #88?   Btw, Congrats on #73! <-)

Technical note: User puzzle #340 is the hardest 10x10 puzzle for our solver. It requires only 12% less "human like explorations" than its hardest user beast #88, but it solves 42 times faster than #88, being so much smaller. 
Again because our solver is not doing highlander deductions it doesn't means #340 really is the hardest 10x10, but it must be up there with only 6 solvers!

Upcoming user beast #99 should be the hardest of all and by far!  I should be tired by now of always claiming this, but every time (I think) I am tending to get closer.
Nis
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 1989
Best Total: 22m 1s
Posted - 2008.07.16 14:26:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by naivoj

Nis, Are you still a member of the "All Done" club?
Excluding beasts: you would have to be one of the 6 that completed the "Highlander Patterns Are Gone!" #339 & #340?
Including beasts: you must have at least completed #88?   Btw, Congrats on #73! <-)

I am in the "All Done"-club excluding beasts (unless some lower-numbered ones snuck under the radar).

I am working on UB88 now (when not tending to my life). I don't think I'll ever get around to doing all the user beasts - are you saying that completing #88 is sufficient (in your eyes)? Seems like cheating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivoj

Technical note: User puzzle #340 is the hardest 10x10 puzzle for our solver. It requires only 12% less "human like explorations" than its hardest user beast #88, but it solves 42 times faster than #88, being so much smaller. 
Again because our solver is not doing highlander deductions it doesn't means #340 really is the hardest 10x10, but it must be up there with only 6 solvers!

I really think 168 and 83 (with 13 and 14 solvers after 11 and 15 months) where much harder than any from the HPAG series. But perhaps I just grew better myself. Did you test your solver on those?
MondSemmel
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3981
Best Total: 7m 47s
Posted - 2008.07.17 00:42:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nis
Quote:
Originally Posted by naivoj
I am working on UB88 now (when not tending to my life). I don't think I'll ever get around to doing all the user beasts - are you saying that completing #88 is sufficient (in your eyes)? Seems like cheating ...

This is just from my personal experience, but I would advise against starting with the difficult user beasts first. Naivoj's beasts have a certain flow to them that makes them different from the beasts of the month, for example. Instead of needing an effective amount of about 30 hours for this puzzle, you could have invested 15 hours into the easier puzzles and use that to solve the difficult one in 15 hours instead of 30 .
Besides, it's not like the lower numbered puzzles are "easy", but there are at least varying degrees of difficulty which helps a lot when learning. I also advise using something like the Loopy application - saving and loading and doing more than one puzzle at the same time is really helpful if you don't know how to continue in a specific puzzle.
pqg
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3984
Best Total: 15m 37s
Posted - 2008.08.27 20:07:38
OK, all done!

I finished all the archives, user puzzles and BotMs some time ago, leaving just the user beasts, which I started working through about a month ago. I had done about a dozen before that, but since I couldn't fullly remember which ones, I did them all in order this time to be sure I didn't miss any, culminating in #99 which I've just finished.

Forum Index